Well, it is a chilly rainy day here in Missoula and the days are getting shorter. This summer seems to have come and gone way too quickly. I took the 10 week summer class to finish my foreign language requirement, which was a challenging and interesting adventure. My stress reduction relief kit helped me get through many days. The important thing is that I passed it and could go on enjoying the rest of my summer. Kristen and the kids were very patient with me and I very much appreciate that.


Matthew, Shanny, and I got the opportunity to go up to Holland Lake (Just outside of Glacier) for 3 days which was a blast. It was Shanny's first camping experience and she is a natural. I didn't have to worry about her being entertained when I looked to see that she had found a small log and had tied a rope to it and proceeded to pull it around camp for 3 days. Holland Lake is beautiful and the kids had a great time swimming and building a campfire. There is a short hike around the lake which takes you to a beautiful waterfall and breathtaking view of the lake and forest. It was about a 3 mile hike to the falls and back, so I knew the kids would sleep well that night. They were able to do it without any problems and along the way was a rope swing were there was a large group of kids swinging out into the lake. Matthew and Shanny sat on a log and loved watching others risk their lives. Matthew kept telling each person that they could do it as their nerves made them think twice. We had a small picnic once we got up to the falls. All in all it was a great experience and maybe next year we can get mom to brave the elements and go out with us.






























On the last evening that we were camping I started to get a sore throat and a bit of a cough, but I didn't think much of it and enjoyed the rest of our trip. A couple days later after returning home I started feeling horrible and had the worst headache that just wouldn't go away and a bad cough. Come Monday, I was having trouble breathing and was getting worse so Kris took me to the ER where I got chest X-rays and visited with the Doctor. After waiting what seemed like forever (and it didn't help any that a lady a couple rooms down was singing country music and the guy next to me was a drug addict) the Doctor came back in and said that my lungs were pretty full of pneumonia and that it was a good thing that I came in. He gave me an inhaler and put me on some pain killers and antibiotics. I laid in bed for the next 4 days and thankfully slowly started to get better. It is scary stuff and can do some serious damage.


A couple of weeks ago Mom came down to visit for a few days before the family reunion at Uncle Ted's. Matthew and Shanny were excited to see her and she was able to come to their swimming lessons and watch them swim. She took them to the park to play and got to spend some early mornings catching up with them. On Tuesday, Barb, Ray, and Megan arrived from Seattle and we met up with them at their hotel to go swimming and visit. It was great to visit with them and see them again. One of the few things that I do miss about living in Oregon is when we could drive a short distance to visit with them at Cannon Beach or in Seattle. Wednesday morning, we went to Johnsrud and had a picnic in hopes that we might be able to go tubing, but the weather wasn't cooperating, so instead we went swimming and sat in the hot tub at their hotel. Later that evening, Reid, Lisa, Oliver, and beautiful Claire arrived and we all went over to the Community Center and had Hawaiian Haystacks for dinner. It was a lot of fun organizing and Kristen did a great job putting it together and it was delicious. It was fun to watch the kids run around and play together. I can't believe how big Oliver and Claire have gotten and they are both so cute. After eating, we cleaned up and visited with one another the rest of the night. On that Thursday, Ray and Barb took Kris and I to the worlds famous Paul's Pancake Parlor where we had a
delicious breakfast. After that Reid and I went Golfing for a bit before everyone started taking off for the reunion. When we got back Kristen, Shannon, and Mom left for Ted's while Reid, Lisa, and the kids stayed to visit a little more. I offered to watch Oliver and Claire while Reid and Lisa went to the mall for a bit. After they left Oliver and Claire snuggled up next to me on the couch as we watch Pinocchio. Something that I forgot to tell Reid and Lisa about was that Oliver said, "I love you this much Uncle Phil," as he held his hands as wide as he could. I thought that was so cute. My favorite part of my time with them was when little Claire fell asleep in my arms. They are such good kids and I love them. After visiting for a bit longer Reid and Lisa headed out for the reunion as well and I was so glad that I got to spend some time with everyone that week. I especially enjoyed getting to hang out with my big brother for a little bit. Reid is such an example to me and I appreciate his friendship and how he has always been supportive, kind, and easy on me (especially when it comes to golf). I am lucky to be apart of this family and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.
Fall is here and with that brings the beginning of school. Matthew and Shanny started back to school last week and we are so excited for them to be going to Russell Elementary together. They ride the bus there and back together and are going to have a great time. It is great that Shanny gets to go to school all day and I am excited that Kristen will have some time to herself during the day and get a little bit of a break. I was able to give the kids a Fathers Priesthood Blessing before they started and I am so grateful to be able to bless them and out families lives. The Church is a wonderful thing and we are so fortunate to be a part of it. I have also started back to school and am taking my last semester before I start student teaching in January. I am really excited and know that great things will come from my education.

3 comments:
We had a great time seeing you too. Next time we'll have to plan a longer trip! Looks like you had lots of fun on your camping trip. It looks beautiful there. I'm serious about our families meeting to camp some time next year. It would be so fun! Good luck with school and hopefully we'll see you soon.
It looks like the camping trip was a great time! By the way, I wasn't taking it easy on you when we were golfing. I was trying as hard as I could. Next time I'll be sure to practice more to put up a better fight. :)
The blog is great!! I am so sad that I missed all the good times!! you guys look great! and I can't wait to see you again!!
Post a Comment