Thursday, September 25, 2008

I Love This Time of Year!!!



Hello everyone! I hope that you are all doing well and having a fabulous day. Well, I think all of you know that I am coaching the Washington Middle School Wildcats Flag Football Team and tonight I made my debut as Coach McLendon (or Coach Mac). We played our cross town rivals, CS Porter Middle School and we won 39 - 0. Yep, the big goose egg. The kids showed great sportsmanship and some of the other teams parents complimented us on how they appreciated our players helping their kids up if they fell. There hasn't been coaching like this since David "The Legend" Blumell roamed the sidelines in Rosemary. The kids did a great job and no they didn't pick me up and carry me off the field. If they did none of them would ever be able to walk again. Do I deserve a statue of me in front of the school? Well, not yet anyway. Our next two games are next Monday and Wednesday, so stay tuned.
Here are just a few award winning shots of the action from earlier on Wednesday.





Matthew and Shanny had their school pictures yesterday, so we will look forward to getting those back. They are both loving school and doing well. Matthew is adjusting to being in more of an inclusive setting and in a new school. Kristen is keeping busy watching her friends kids while her and her husband go to school. The 3 kids that she is watching are a little baby girl named Reagan, a little monster (a very angry little guy) named Gavin, and Blake, who is the same age as Shanny and going to school most of the time, so Kris doesn't have to watch him all that much. I even have to knock at my own front door before walking in now. Why is that? Well, whenever these kid's mom is over either picking them up or dropping them off she visits with Kristen while sitting on our couch with her shirt pulled up while she breast feeds the baby without covering herself up. I have walked in on her doing it like 3 times and so I either knock to warn them that I am home or just close my eyes as I open the door. They are very strange and have some interesting views on life and things. We call them the coneheads and never know what we are going to hear next.

Today I had my student teaching interview with the placement coordinator at the school of education and it went really well. She said that she already has an idea in mind where she might place me for history and she might let me pick my own placement for special education. I have volunteered several times at Washington Middle School in the resource room and have gotten to know the principle, vice principle, and special ed teacher really well. Plus all of the kids are great and we get along really well. That is another reason why I wanted to coach the flag football team so that I could show them that I enjoy working there.


Yesterday was a very busy day, not only because of my football game, but I taught the 10th grade social studies class at Hellgate High School about The Battle of Gettysburg. It went great and the teacher said that I did a really good job. She wants me to start teaching a lesson every other week, which is exciting. I baked brownies for the class and they really enjoyed them. I wanted them to have something to focus on other than just me standing up there shaking, sweating, and talking to them. It was fun though and I am excited about the great opportunities the future holds.
















This past month we had the opportunity to attend a couple events that the CDC (Child Developmental Center) put on as fund raisers and events to support Autism and other disabilities in Missoula. The first was a really fun event in which there were bouncing castles for the kids to play on, face painting, games, and a great band called, "The Workers," who turned out to be my special ed advisor at school and another one of my professors. They were really good and it was nice getting to introduce them to my family.











The other event, was a BBQ at Fort Missoula. This historic fort is really interesting and it is where they held a Japanese Internment camp during World War II. We are really blessed and fortunate to have such great services here for the kids. They have helped them grow and develop skills that will help them live a more active and independent life.






I appreciate all of you and am so grateful to be a part of your family. Life is fabulous and I am looking forward to spending the holidays with you all again. This time of year is awesome and I love how the weather gets colder and we get to celebrate some fun activities and holidays. Take care and have a fabulous day. Oh, and just a reminder. Everyone make sure they tune in for the Season Premiere of "The Office" tonight. It's gonna be good.

3 comments:

Reid Blumell said...

Congrats on the big win Phil, hopefully you can go undefeated like your favorite team, the Patriots, did last year! It sounds like you are doing really well at that school, I hope they recognize what a great teacher you will be.

Lisa said...

Okay, I think you would be the best coach ever! I'm so glad that Missoula has been such a great place for you guys. Good luck with the end of school and all that that entails. We love you guys.

Lisa said...

Oh and I have to say that fall is my favorite time of year!

The McLendon Family

The McLendon Family

The Amazing Blumell Family

Stand For Something